Monday, March 26, 2007

Interfaith Seder Meal

Rabbi Nudell, a Rabbi at the Conservative Synagogue, Congregation Beth Israel, has invited Union Catholic students to the Interfaith Seder for the 13th year in a row. It wasn't until I met Rabbi Nudell that I had ever entered a synagogue or participated in a Seder Meal. What a good friend and a great man of God. I had been to Israel three times before I had contacted the synagogue, which I pass everyday on my way teach, and what a nice relationship we have had. Jewish Catholic relations has certainly come along way since Vatican 2, and allowing interaction between Jewish and Catholic students will hopefully go a long way in creating an atmosphere of respect between our faiths. In other countries people are killing each other over there religious beliefs so at least this small act of two religious communities existing side by side as friends will be a good witness. I can honestly say that I feel more 'akin' to Rabbi Nudell for his reverence for the Torah and religious tradition than some people from my own religious tradition. While we have obvious disagreements on the person of Jesus, St. James and Jesus himself said that faith without deeds is dead and for that I have a great deal of respect and admiration for Rabbi Nudell. Some of my students are looking on as he uses a 'yad', a pointer, to chant from an ancient Torah scroll. As we ended our visit I asked him to give us a blessing in Hebrew which he did beautifully. It's one thing to hear the Passover and Jewish worship explained by Christians but another thing to experience through Jews eyes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see mike mccow! =]